Monday, August 5, 2013

Overwhelmed

So today is my birthday, no big deal, I have had lots of them over the years. For me, birthdays have become just another day for me. I don't have a husband or kids to share the day with so it's just something that comes and goes. I actually prefer to ride under the radar on this day. So I am totally ok with not hearing "Happy Birthday" or the like on this day each year. As a single person, it's just something that you get used to and just kind of move forward with life. This all changed today for me....... I had the most incredible birthday.....EVER.

It all started with someone at work, wishing they could do more to help with my adoption quest and another thinking I needed something more than "just another day" kind of birthday. With those thoughts, a plan was born. For two weeks, there were little meetings and whisperings throughout the office. A tiny group gathered, discussing things that would suddenly go quiet as I came around the corner. It was beginning to irritate me to be honest, but they would just tell me "You're going to love it". I was going to love no more secrets and whispers is what I was "going to love".

This morning as everyone in the office gathered around my desk to give me a birthday present. I knew I was in trouble as the owner struggled to get through his explanation of the great sacrifice made and the gift I was about to receive. As tears filled almost everyone's eye, including my own, an envelope (a very thick envelope) was handed to me. I opened the card to find the following gift inside:



As most of you know, I only needed $700 to move on to the next phase of this adoption. So you can imagine the blank stare on my face as I tried to grasp what this awesome group of people had done for me.

I fought back the tears and struggled to say thank you and hug each one of them without my voice cracking (can we say unsuccessful). After everyone went back to work. Paige and Amanda stayed to explain what went down. Over the two weeks of whispering and stopped conversations, this incredible group put together a bake sale/car wash this last Saturday. Almost everyone of them showed up to work on a Saturday with home baked goodies, car washing gear, posters, fliers and spent most of the day doing a fundraiser for me WITHOUT ME KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. They raised $600 for my kid quest. Talk about feeling the love. Those who couldn't make it, donated cash to help out as well.

They already bring in cans every week and save them for me at work, they always ask how the adoption is going and have supported me more than I ever could imagine a group of co-workers doing. Vitality Medical is an incredible place to work with the most giving people imaginable. I am blessed to be a part of this great company.

After they had explained how everything went down, I had to go outside to compose myself. This birthday has been one of the best birthdays I have had in a long time. This is the day that I will look back on for years and find that it was the beginning of how differently I look at my birthdays. With a overwhelmed heart, I try to figure out how to properly say thank you to an incredible group of people who believe in this adoption and my ability to be a mom as much as I do. Thank you all my Vitality Medical family.

www.vitalitymedical.com

No comments:

Post a Comment